Lawn Conversion Resources for HOAs & Developers
We’re passionate about helping HOAs and developers in Colorado and the West create landscapes that enhance beauty (and property value), conserve water and save money.
If you’re interested in converting parts of your traditional lawns to waterwise landscaping and/or low-water turf grass, please scroll down to find resources to help guide you and your community.
Questions? Want to talk? Reach out to Ross Shrigley of Plant Select at (970) 481-3429.
- Can you lower your water bill with waterwise plants? (And how much?)
- How to identify awkward turf spaces, so you can save money
- How Emerald Ash Borer will affect HOA landscape budgets
- A best practice to keep new plants alive in the summer heat
- Turn your annual flower beds into waterwise pollinator gardens (a case study from a suburban office park)
- Waterwise landscape designers near you
- Free, waterwise landscape designs (featuring Plant Select plants)
- Western best practices for plant irrigation, soil preparation and plant size
- An introduction to DOG TUFF TM grass (video)
- Where to buy DOG-TUFF TM grass
Ways to save money during turf conversions
- Look for incentive programs. Many municipalities, water utilities and non-profits offer incentivesto convert turf lawns into low-water plants. Here are a few examples: Flip Your Strip in Utah for individual homeowners, the Fort Collins Xeriscape Incentive Program for HOAs and commercial properties, the Fort Collins Xeriscape Incentive Program for individual homeowners, and the Turf Exchange Rebate Program in Sacramento, California.
- Find grants. There are grants available for HOAs. For an example, see the grant program from Northern Water in Colorado.
- Use volunteers. One best practice is to invite your community members to participate in the planting process as volunteers. This helps reduce labor costs and boosts engagement.
Info on Plant Select plants
- Comprehensive spreadsheet of plants, including bloom time, plant requirements, maintenance needs, etc. (Excel document download)
- How much to water specific Plant Select plants
- List of the native origins of Plant Select plants
Become a Plant Select HOA Garden
We help guide our Plant Select HOA communities and share a select number of new plants each year. In return, you agree to share your community’s water usage and landscape maintenance costs before and after converting to low-water landscaping over a multi-year period, so we can quantify the savings.
Learn about becoming a Plant Select HOA Garden (PDF).
External news articles
- Putting Colorado Back in Our Landscapes (Colorado Builder magazine)
- Redefining the Western Landscape: Plant Select Turns 25 (Colorado Green magazine)
- 40 Years Ago, Xeriscaping Started Changing the Landscape of Denver (Westword)
- Waterwise Champions: Don and Lyn Ireland – Cherry Creek 3 HOA (Colorado Gardener magazine)
- Plant Select’s 1st HOA Award Winner: Cherry Creek 3 (CherryCreek3.com)
If you’re an HOA or developer that wants to explore the value of waterwise landscaping, please reach out to Ross Shrigley of Plant Select at (970) 481-3429.