In recent decades, the Rocky Mountain region has become known for horticultural innovation. Rather than being an obstacle, our bright sun and crisp air are, in fact, a boon to growing plants from the high mountains and plateaus that make up so much of the world’s surface. An ever expanding list of native plants – Agastache, Eriogonum, Penstemon — has entered the world’s gardens, thanks to experimenters in our region. Yellow and purple hardy ice plants from South Africa and salvias and snow daisies from western Asia have gained popularity worldwide through the groundwork of Plant Select®.
Plant Select® is a cooperative program administered by Denver Botanic Gardens and Colorado State University in concert with horticulturists and nurseries throughout the Rocky Mountain region and beyond. The purpose of Plant Select® is to seek out, identify and distribute the best plants for landscapes and gardens from the intermountain region to the high plains.
Plants are chosen each year that thrive in the unique and variable conditions of Rocky Mountain gardens. These can be plants that have grown here for years and have not yet attained the popularity they deserve, known as recommended plants.Introductions represent taxa that are discovered by our cooperators, and are often superior forms or hybrids.
New plants listed for consideration for future promotions must be evaluated on:
- Performance in a broad range of garden situations in the Central Rocky Mountain Region
- Adaptation to the Central Rocky Mountain Region’s challenging climate
- Resistance to pests (disease pathogens, insects, and mites)
- Exceptional performance under low water conditions
- Long season of beauty in the garden
- Capability of being mass produced
- Longevity in containers (retail appeal)
- Current availability from current propagators
- Ease of propagation using basic propagation protocols
- Availability of images of established specimens in landscapes (for publications)
Plant Select® is at the vanguard of a bold, new plant palette that is revolutionizing the way we garden. Here are plants that thrive in both our variable winters and our hot summers. They are helping forge a truly American style of horticulture.
Commercial growers’ note: Plant Select® and the Plant Select® logo are protected by federal trademark laws. In addition, commercial propagation or use of any plant trademarks or plant patents owned by Plant Select® is strictly prohibited except through license agreements with Plant Select®. Please contact us at email@example.com if you’re interested in becoming a Plant Select® commercial grower or retail source.
To learn more about the collaborative process: click on the image below.